Winter colour

Tuesday, December 13, 2016

Although I'm happy with the majority of my recent makes, there's something slightly lacking.... and that's a bit of colour. I've always veered towards shades of blue/grey and plain old black, but upon reviewing my new-ish Kollabora profile, I found that there's been little (correction *no) variation in the palette for quite a while. In an attempt to remedy this, I tried out a few colourful, quick win sort of makes and thought I'd share them together in a post.

Colour! Fab photos thanks to my friend Kerry :)
Favourites first: I've made the Papercut Patterns Rise Turtleneck many times, but never tried out it's looser fitting, drop-shouldered, roll neck sister (the Fall Turtleneck) until now and I love it! I made it up in the perfect green-yellow jersey from Goldbrick Fabrics on Goldhawk Road. I often think good quality jersey is difficult to come by - recommendations welcome! - but this is lovely, and it washed really well too. If only I lived closer, I'd never be seen in black because I'd be buying a new colour every weekend! I sized down to a small as it's quite roomy and added an inch to the length of the sleeves and body.

Hand knit hat with Toft-topper!
Also snapped is a newly knitted ribbed hat from a vintage pattern. I have no patience with knitting, so this is as good as it gets for me. I was spurred on knowing that the angora-mix wool I used was a good match for my Yona coat, and by the promise of topping the finished thing with the Toft alpaca fur pompom I bought at the Knit and Stitch Show. My new hat and turtleneck are worn here with the Yona Coat, a previously unblogged Simplicity 2154 pencil skirt, and canny matching shoes and nails - clearly I've found a 'colour of the season'...

Inari in Ray Stitch gold viscose foil
And finally, I had to include what is possibly my liveliest make ever - the GOLDEN Inari Tee Dress. Thanks Karen of Did you Make That? for the super shiny dress inspiration, and signposting to some totally fabulous fabrics, one being this gold viscose foil from Ray Stitch. It sews up really well, and makes a pretty err... blinding statement garment! It's not the most flattering, but it brought me great joy wearing it, and the whole ambiguity around 'is it Christmas fancy dress?' or 'a serious outfit?' generated some great reactions at work hahaha (ho-ho-ho).
See Handmade Jane's actually amazing Studio 54-inspired top in the same fabric for some serious inspiration. 

Wishing you all a happy and colourful - and most importantly, golden - festive period!


Stay in touch!



You Might Also Like

6 comments

  1. Love that yellow! Suits you big time! xox

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yay thank you! It's definitely in the running for fave colour (alongside black/grey/blue) xx

      Delete
  2. I love that first outfit- the shade of yellow is gorgeous! Everything about that ensemble is perfect.
    The Artyologist

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have the opposite colour - riot of colour and pattern and barely any neutrals, haha! You look gorgeous in the first photo so definitely need to visit the colourful side more often :)

    Also, gold inari dress... WOW.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I think I need to take a leaf out of your book... maybe we'll meet somewhere in the middle! :) x

      Delete

Thanks for visiting!

Thanks for visiting!