Atelier Brunette Ralph Pink Sahara Shirt

Sunday, August 27, 2017

Hi all! Here's the second in a series of posts about my handmade holiday wardrobe and fabric finds in Tokyo. My first Ralph Pink Sahara Shirt is one of the best and most professional looking garments I've ever sewn up and it still gets nice comments from people when I wear it - how did it take me this long to make another? This second version is definitely more geared towards summer, and made up in a soft double gauze, it feels particularly luxe.

Ralph Pink Sahara Shirt in Kamakura, Japan. Shoes: Kin by John Lewis; Hat: H&M
Like my ruffle hem Nita Wrap Skirt, this one was another last minute warm-weather-friendly make that I only finished the day before we headed off to Japan. The inspiration came from the Kin by John Lewis range. I'm rarely tempted by shop bought clothes anymore, but I find myself drawn the the brand every time I pass it on the way up to the haberdashery section in the Leeds store (I couldn't help myself with the silver Kin sandals). It took me a surprisingly long time to realise that the styles I liked the best were pretty much the same silhouette as the Sahara Shirt.

Kin by John Lewis shirts - particularly love the Laura Slater print one on the left!
My fabric choice was a beautiful Atelier Brunette double gauze from Cotton Reel Studio - purchased with a voucher I won on the Sew Up North raffle. The sewing community's love for Atelier Brunette is evident by just scrolling Instagram. I'm not usually one to jump on the designer fabric bandwagon, but I just couldn't resist this abstract brush stroke print - very Kin, no? I wish it were easier to find abstract prints like this - tips most welcome!

My finished Sahara Shirt, in Atelier Brunette
I've never sewn in double gauze before. In fact I usually avoid cottons altogether, so it just shows how much I loved the print. I'd originally hoped to make another Jazz Jumpsuit using it, but when the fabric arrived I realised it was a little too lightweight and see-through for that.

On the beach in Kamakura
After rethinking things, the Sahara Shirt seemed like a natural pattern to choose for such a special fabric. It's a pattern I'm familiar with and I've been missing wearing my first version as it's a bit too heavy for summer. The double gauze really did feel as luxurious as it's designer price tag suggested it might - so soft, it's lovely to both wear and work with.

Details in Atelier Brunette Graphic Blue Fabric
The only thing that differed in my construction of this version was including the collar (last time's was collarless). It felt necessary in this fabric and I also wanted the option to wear it open as a kimono-like cover up.

Collar and placket details

With just a day to go before my holiday, I managed to find the perfect buttons - I couldn't believe my luck! Textile Garden my usual go-to place for buttons, but with such limited time, I had to do a bit of a dash round town. I picked up these little matching blue ones from the bargain box at John Lewis - just 60p for a card of 5 and exactly the right colour.

Perfect match buttons!
The only problem I had was trying to make the very top button hole on the collar. My machine just couldn't manage it because of the bulk so I skipped it rather than risking spoiling a lovely finished garment. Has anyone got any tips for top button struggles?

The classic 'look how big it is' pose
I love my summer Sahara and it made for great holiday wear in Japan. I saw a lot of locals wearing double gauze and over sized shirts in the humid weather and I left inspired to make more! I picked up an amazing heavy textured white cotton while there and the plan is to make it up as an oversized long sleeved shirt that's a bit more climate-appropriate for home. The challenge with this Sahara Shirt is getting wear out of it now I'm back in the UK. Let's see if I can transition it into my Autumn/Winter wardrobe...

Stay in touch!

You Might Also Like

16 comments

  1. This looks fantastic. A perfect pairing of fabric and pattern. Love those abstract prints too. I got a nice one from Stoff and Stil that you would probably like a while back - I've made it into a SOI Alex Shirt Dress. https://carolinejoynson.blogspot.co.uk/2017/08/sew-over-it-alex-shirt-dress.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Caroline, and WOW I love the Stoff and Stil fabric and the SOI dress! I think I know where to hunt for my next abstract print :) Thanks for sharing! x

      Delete
  2. It's gorgeous! Can I ask how many pages the pattern PDF was? I want it, but I can't stand taping huge PDFs, hahah..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Katie! The PDF is 28 pages which isn't too bad - I've done a 70-pager before so it could be worse! You'd look great in it I'm sure :)

      Delete
    2. Thanks! Sub-30 pages is ok by me so I'm gonna get it!

      Delete
    3. Hooray - can't wait to see yours! :)

      Delete
  3. beautiful, the fabric looks like it has a lovely soft drape and hand ;o)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I always think of cottons as being stiff but this is quite the opposite. Definitely rethinking my fabric properties :)

      Delete
  4. perfect make - again and as always! (love those sandals)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Eimear! I couldn't resist going for the Kin sandals (not quite up for shoe making just yet) x

      Delete
  5. Beautiful dress! I agree it's a perfect match fabric to pattern - so cool to wear AND stylish!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Kathleen :) So happy they worked out well together! x

      Delete
  6. This looks great, such a perfect interpretation of your inspo frocks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I'm really pleased at how close the pattern matches the high st versions :) Now to find some amazing abstract print fabric like the Laura Slater one! x

      Delete
  7. You have inspired me yet again, Shauni! I have the pattern printed out and ready to assemble, though not sure when. Hoping the summer hols on for a little bit so I can finish it.
    It's a lovely make, well done again!
    Btw, I saw an awesome Stoff & Still fabric that was very similar to this, I'm a feeling a bit like a stalker if I end up making the Sahara using it :).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Alex! Can't wait to see your version - I'm sure you'll love it! Definitely do it with the Stoff & Still! A few people have mentioned it to me when I mentioned struggling to find interesting geometric prints. I'm not sure I dare look so soon after pay day...

      I'm loving your Katie dress too. Think we might just be style twins :) x

      Delete

Thanks for visiting!

Thanks for visiting!