DP Studio Le 411 Skirt

Tuesday, September 18, 2018

When you say DP Studio, 'easy to make' isn't a phrase that usually comes to mind. But after spending more time than necessary building myself up to making the Le411, I was pleasantly surprised at how straightforward it was to sew in comparison to my last DP make (this coat) - and no mean feat considering I relied on Google to translate the instructions from French! Whilst some of their patterns are almost too fashion forward, this is one garment that totally hits the mark in terms of cool yet completely wearable.

DP Studio Le411 
The pattern sits alongside a collection by DP Studio in a special 'couture' edition of French magazine Modes et Travaux. From what I can understand, they seem to be working with different French pattern companies to release special issues, each with a collection of patterns from that designer (French speakers correct me if I'm wrong)! I was pretty thrilled to be sent my copy as a prize from DP Studio. I'm not sure if it's still available anywhere, but at the point of writing, you can still buy the I AM PATTERNS and Wear Lemonade editions online. There are some amazing designs in the DP issue (see below) so I'd definitely recommend it if you can find a copy!

Le411 Skirt pattern


Though some of the patterns look quite complex, overall the written instructions seem more thorough than what is usual for DP. As a fairly simple design, I found the illustrations alone explained most of what I needed to know for this skirt.


I cut a size 40 which was spot on for my measurements, though it's worth noting that this particular pattern had a very small seam allowance - just 0.7cm - so no wiggle room whatsoever with sizing. Some of the other patterns in the magazine had larger seam allowances, which is quite confusing, but  each is stated clearly, and well, at least they're included!


Back view
I visited the Manchester Abakhan armed with a list of specific fabric requirements and this project was on it. The skirt only requires 1.55m so it was easy to find a large enough crepe/viscose in the remnant bin - this one has a very subtle stripe and texture to it which I quite like. Inspired by the magazine sample garment, I bought enough of the black sheer sparkly fabric to double layer with the crepe, but chickened out - partly because I'm not too confident at working with sheer fabric and partly because I thought it would take it way past the point of everyday wearable.

That flounce!

I settled on layering the sheer fabric over the crepe for the ruffle alone. I haven't done much circle-based construction in my sewing before, but it was interesting to see the almost full circle ruffle come to fit with the curved edge of the main skirt - the volume is amazing. I would have quite liked to finish both layers of fabric separately for more movement, but I wasn't sure of the best approach for hemming the sheer fabric - how would you everyone else do this? - so I treated them as one. I overlocked the bottom edges together, and painstakingly hand sewed the whole hem for the neatest finish - it took hours but was quite a satisfying job in all.


I immediately loved this skirt from first try on, and I know it's going to be the perfect wear-all-winter garment. I'll definitely make the Le411 again at some point, and I have some lilac viscose/crepe that would be perfect for a second, I'd just need to figure out how to line it too. I'm encouraged to try more projects from the magazine  - there's an amazing ruffled turtleneck - and would consider buying the others editions too as they're definitely great value for money!

Stay in touch!


You Might Also Like

10 comments

  1. It's amazing, Shauni. I love the style on you. It fits like a dream and the ruffle is gorgeous.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Diane. Couldn't believe how spot on it was from the off - no tweaks needed :)

      Delete
  2. It's gorgeous Shauni. Very sophisticated and luxe looking.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Ooo luxe is quite a good way to describe it - I like that :)

      Delete
  3. What a great looking skirt. The contrast fabric used for the ruffle is an amazing detail.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Sonja, I thought the contrast made it look just that bit more 'premium' and unusual :)

      Delete
  4. It looks great! I like the combination with the top. I thought it was a dress at first. What a versatile skirt.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Catherine! Such a compliment coming from you - you make the most fantastic and unique clothes x

      Delete
  5. God I love DP Studio; I doubt I could wear most of their stuff (without looking like a poser) but I love the amount of design they put into everything. You should probably just be their brand ambassador. xD And I am not a big midi-skirt person but between this and your leopard-y, ruffled gloriousness, I might have to change my mind...

    -Abbey

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ahhh no you should just do it regardless! The seem to have a line of slightly simpler patterns around at the minute that are still cool, but slightly less 'designed' - maybe that's the answer? And if they're looking, I wouldn't say no to being an ambassador haha. Thanks for the lovely comment :) xx

      Delete

Thanks for visiting!

Thanks for visiting!