Behind the Scenes at Love Sewing - M7661 Reader Review

Wednesday, January 09, 2019

Back in November, I had the pleasure of going 'behind the scenes' at Love Sewing Magazine HQ for a 'Reader Review' photoshoot and I can finally show you what I made for it, as well as give you a little peek into the process! I didn't hesitate when asked as the pattern in question is one of my favourites of last year, the M7661 trousers (here's some I made earlier)! Issue 62, featuring my review and a free copy of the M7661 pattern is on sale now so go and grab a copy!

M7661 Trousers for Love Sewing issue 62

Pre-photoshoot
Amy kindly asked me if I'd like to be involved a month before the photoshoot, so this has been quite some time in the works. I'd already planed to make another pair with a contrast side panel, so it slotted in well with my sewing plans at the time. I had plenty of freedom to select the version and fabric I wanted to use, which Amy helped me source - thanks to Minerva Crafts for providing both of these. It was quite a tight turnaround to get the trousers made and ready for the shoot, but me being me, I obviously had to give myself extra work by making a Reeta Shirt to match (see previous versions here) from the contrast panel #sewingleftovers.

On set!
On the day
After a bit of home posing, I travelled to the Stockport-based studio with my garment bag in hand. I had my make up and hair done by Nina and Amy helped to prep my outfit for camera - amongst her many skills, she's also a talented top tucker and bow tier, who knew! Amy had offered to source tops/shoes for the shoot too and I had my pick from the accessory wall, but I chose to go with my own. Once I was ready, I got to go on set where Renata took many, many pictures! It's quite a different experience to my usual DIY picture taking set up - though similarly embarrassing at first - but it was fun once I got into it!
With Amy for the editors welcome!
After getting some review shots and pictures with Amy for her editor's welcome (hey guys I made it to page 3...!) I got the chance to get some extra snaps of the details and a headshot just for featuring on the blog.
Professionally avoiding fringe separation since 2005
Post-shoot, just checking what my make up looked like
Post production
And then there's the wait... The issue came out on December 27th (though I think subscribers received their copies a little earlier), so I had to keep quiet about the shoot until then! After the Christmas break, I got chance to go through the contact sheet and pick some of my own favourite images from the shoot, so you'll see some of these below spliced into my review.
Love Sewing issue 62

The review (and pictures!)
If it isn't the 'year of the trouser' for everyone else, then it certainly has been for me. The McCall's 7661 might just be my favourite trouser pattern of the ones I've sewn up this year - this is my third pair and I'd say they're the best yet!


The high-waisted trousers are really easy to both put together and wear, with the different views offering a few variations for the legs - either a more voluminous culotte and full length style, or the slimmer, but still fairly loose fitting leg with the option of contrast side panels. I opted for the latter and a tie waist for this pair with View A.


With winter in mind, I picked a soft, textured charcoal flannel suiting from Minerva Crafts priced at £7.99 per metre. I wanted a side panel that popped, so I had lots of colours to choose from with the luxurious Atelier Brunette Viscose Crepe. I eventually picked the 'Tangerine' colourway, priced at £15.99 per metre and also from Minerva Crafts. The crepe was a little lighter than I anticipated, so I got around this by doubling up my fabric for the side panel. (Eagle-eyed readers might also notice that I managed to squeeze a matching Reeta Shirt out of my leftovers too)!



The pattern has a lot of included ease, so I picked my size based on the finished garment measurements for the waist: a size 12, despite my measurements aligning more closely to the size 14. The fit through the hip is nice and relaxed, especially as the trousers are quite heavily gethered into the front waistband, so it's really only the waist that needs to fit snugly. A little tip for finding the finished waist measurement: check the waistband pattern pieces closely as you won't find it on the pattern envelope!


I made the pattern straight from the envelope with no adjustments. The trousers fasten with a centred lapped zipper at the back, but I swapped mine out for an invisible zip as I prefer the method and finish. From wearing my other pairs, I've also found that using a 10" zipper makes them much easier to wiggle on and off than the recommended length of 9".


This pattern is definitely a good introduction for anyone feeling a little tentative about trouser making, but with plenty of options for the bolder wearer to get creative with. The loose fit around the hips makes them both flattering and easy to fit. I love the contrast side panel and I can see myself playing with this again for version four, five and maybe more!


I hope you enjoyed a little peek into how things went - and a change from my regular red brick backdrop! Do you have your copy yet? Does the pattern tempt you? 


Stay in touch!

You Might Also Like

11 comments

  1. You look amazing Shauni. I love the orange/charcoal combo!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Diane! I don't think I'll always wear them together, but it was fun for the shoot :)

      Delete
  2. What an amazing experience! I love that they include readers in the magazine and you are very well deserving of the honor. You look beautiful, too xoxo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much :) Yes it's really nice to be asked and surreal to see yourself on the pages after reading it for so long! xx

      Delete
  3. You look great in that wonderful outfit - love the colour and the lipstick too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah thank you so much! I really wish I'd asked what brand that lipstick was now as it was SOOO good :)

      Delete
  4. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Well shoot, yeah, I want that pattern now!!! Lovely outfit (and that's a nice feeling, preferring what you walked in with for accessories). :) It seems like you had a really cool experience, and you definitely got some amazing shots and trousers!

    Oh wow the pattern is actually on sale right now for $4...does that officially make you a tempter/serpent? ^^

    (Deleted and reposted for spelling errors, ahem.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah thanks Lia! Definitely not too hard a make if you fancy recreating it :) I've made 3 different versions of it so I'm sure it's well worth buying! x

      Delete
  6. Eeep! Congratulations Shauni, you're famous! The shoot looks fantastic.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ahhh thanks Jo! Not quite famous haha but it's a nice feeling seeing yourself in a mag you read :)

      Delete

Thanks for visiting!

Thanks for visiting!