Papercut Patterns Waver Jacket

Wednesday, October 26, 2016

I nearly cried when I finished this jacket. Not because I disliked it (not even in the slightest!), or because it caused me great difficulty to make, but because it felt like such a BIG achievement. My first outdoor coat/jacket: the Waver.

My finished Waver jacket :)
Past me has been known to spend obscene amounts of money on high street jackets. And what's worse than that is the quality of many of them just doesn't justify the cost - linings that shred, pockets that tear at the touch of a set of keys (I'm looking at you French Connection...). So this was a biggie for me! The materials were well considered, to be both cost effective - well anything is if you knew what I used to spend on jackets - and able to withstand daily wear.

Waver pattern and materials good to go!
I used the same grey wax cotton and graphic-print lining fabric (both from Fabworks) that I used for my Retro Rucksack, which has seen heavy use since I made it in February and is still going strong! I also chose a yellow cord for the inside as another little nod to the yellow fabric on my bag.

Taking tailor tacking seriously
I made up the long version of the Waver with the gathered waist in a straight size Small. My measurements fell in between sizes, but after seeing the finished garment measurements and reading a few reviews, I decided to size down, which was the right decision - the fit is pretty much spot on. The prep time felt quite lengthy as there were quite a lot of pattern markings to transfer - I did proper hand-sewn tailor tacks - and quite a bit of interfacing to apply to the various pattern pieces, as well as cutting the lining out.

Quickly looking like a coat!
After the prep, the jacket came together really quickly, which was quite an exciting process. I stalled a little on topstitching the pockets in place as I forgot to buy matching thread. I added them a bit later, which helped in making sure they were properly lined up. The hood was probably my favourite bit to sew - the hood gusset pattern piece that runs down the middle gives it a real 'proper hood' shape if you know what I mean!

Seriously concentrating on putting that hood up!
I took the plunge and bought snap fastenings and the proper pliers to insert them with for a real professional finish. It seemed quite a commitment money-wise, but using the pliers was SO much easier than hammering them in place, so it was worth it. One really big disappointment was accidentally spoiling my last snap and having to buy A WHOLE new pack for just the one replacement, and they were £9.20 for 6! (If anyone knows of a cheap place to buy future hardware/snaps from, let me know!)

New tools!



There were only a few moments where I got confused - mainly around the joining the lining, which was also my main point of confusion with the Pulmu Skirt - but overall I really enjoyed making the pattern and love love LOVE the finished jacket. I'm pleased that it's both practical and very wearable, and hope that a few of the quirks make it that little bit more 'me'. In other news, Vogue posted some matching coat/bag combos on the runway at a recent Marni show, so I guess matchy-matchy must be 'on trend'. Here's my effort vs Marni's...

My not-so-Marni matchy Retro Rucksack/Waver combo
Matching at Marni
I've had the pattern queued up for quite some time. There are definitely some similarities between the Waver and the new Closet Case Files Kelly Anorak, so I'm not sure if I would've chosen differently if I was picking between the two now. I love the pockets and zip front on the Kelly, but the Waver is lined, which adds a bit of interest - as I chose such a jazzy lining! - and makes the finished thing fairly warm. Which one would you choose to sew?

Details
It took about 4 evenings to sew, which is pretty good, especially considering how long I've been working myself up to taking on a 'big project' like this. In fact, I feel just a little bit invincible when I wear it, as if now I've sewn a jacket, I could make anything (I can't, but I'm definitely trying)!

Trying to flash that lining!
I'm feeling sufficiently warmed up for sewing a proper wool winter coat now, which is next on the list. And at least I have a lovely Waver Jacket to keep me warm until then.

Thanks Sara and Chris for patiently taking pictures

Stay in touch!


You Might Also Like

23 comments

  1. You should be proud of the lovely jacket you completed.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really like the length on this and your fabric looks really nice. I think the Waver and Kelly are so different you don't have to choose between the two...just sew both! lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Tasha :) Maybe they are quite different... in which case I could totally make a Spring Kelly! x

      Delete
  3. Great job; love the colour and length. I am hoping to make the Kelly soon: for me I wanted the two piece sleeve and the zipper placket in front. But this is also cute.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Really glad I went for the longer length :) Can't wait to see your Kelly Anorak x

      Delete
  4. Snap! I just posted about making a waver jacket this week! It feels amazing to have made your own outerwear! Your version looks really great - congratulations!

    Louise

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Just checked out your Waver and it looks fab - must be the week of the Waver's :) x

      Delete
  5. gorgeous on you.love the rucksack/bag too, great colours

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Eimear :) I think deep down I'm probably the most proud because I have a matching combo... x

      Delete
  6. Ahhh this is awesome, Shauni! I love it. The shape looks great and I love your funky little details with the contrast cord and lining. It looks so professional, you must be so chuffed. I'd probably pick the waver over the kelly as well as I like the option to put in linings - I like the extra warmth and the clean finish it gives.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ahhh thanks Jo. It definitely feels like one of the most 'professional' looking things I've made so I'm feeling proper proud :) x

      Delete
  7. Wow, it looks incredible!!! I am also working myself up to sew a winter coat...its not necessarily that I don't think I can do it... it's just that I know I have to muslin it out, dry clean the wool, etc. etc. before I can start sewing and I just really don't feel like doing all the fiddly bits lol. But maybe seeing this is giving me just a bit more of a little push :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah thanks Carlee! I felt exactly the same with this project, and I'm sure I will with my winter coat too. But the end result is totally worth all of the prep and effort. Hope to see yours soon :) x

      Delete
  8. Good job girl! I love your interpretation of this pattern. Sewing a winter coat is also my goal for this year, so I cross my fingers for you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much! Got my fingers crossed for you too! Good luck :)

      Delete
  9. Wowsers! Your coat is brilliant!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Great work! Love the length and the fabric.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Katie! Really happy with the fabric/lining choice :) x

      Delete

Thanks for visiting!

Thanks for visiting!