DP Studio Le003 - Knit Asymmetric Dress

Thursday, April 20, 2017

Want to know a secret? I'm not wearing any knickers... no this isn't the start of something seedy and weird, just the sewing story of the tightest and sexiest dress I've ever owned - featuring zero VPL. Here's my first DP Studio make, the Le003 Knit Asymmetric Dress:

Giving serious goth girl stares in the DP Studio Le003
I came across DP Studio online a couple of months back and have noticed a growing buzz around the French pattern company on social media. I was amazed by the patterns, which shoot well beyond the realms of Vogue-designer in terms of 'fashion forward' and 'on trend'. I'd say some of the designs are even a bit too trendy, but it's so refreshing to see such edgy and current looks available in sewing pattern form! I took the plunge and ordered the Knit Asymmetric Dress, which was quite possibly the most expensive pattern (including shipping from France) that I've ever bought.



I knew it was worth it the minute it landed on my door step, if only for the beautiful packaging and presentation alone! The envelope is deep and A4 in size, and contains both French and English language instructions; a huge relief as I thought I'd be using a translator the whole way through!


Based on the pattern's recommendations, I picked a 2-way stretch, scuba-like fabric from the grab bins in Abakhan Manchester. The fabric weighed in at less than £10, so a pretty cheap way to test run the pattern. It's a decent weight for holding the shape of the dress and giving body to the drapey asymmetric design.

Side view
I fell across sizes 40-44 with the measurements given, but eventually went with the 42 as I thought the stretch would give me a bit more wiggle room (I'd usually go with a size 40/UK 14 with big 4 patterns). I spent quite a lot of time worrying that the dress would come up too small - it looks tiny to make up, but then I guess it's meant to be pretty fitted when finished. I made a few fit adjustments along the way:

- 0.5cm side seams for a bit of extra room through the hip, which was surprisingly narrow (my hip measurement actually fell into the size 40, which would definitely have been too small)! Sonja also found the hips ran quite small in her DP make so maybe something to watch out for.
- 1.5cm arm hole seams - the shoulders were just a bit too wide, hence the adjustment after the first try on.
- Re-cutting the neck band with an extra 1" added to the width - although the neckband would look better flush to my neck in it's original size, there was absolutely NO WAY I was getting it over my head.

Despite some crazy looking pattern pieces, the dress was a breeze to put together and I managed most of the construction in an evening. It felt a bit like making a jigsaw using random fabric shapes.

Mid-questioning the camera angles. Thanks Chris for taking pictures.
The instructions are somewhat minimal text-wise, but the illustrations are some of the best I've ever seen. The pattern requires the maker to apply a bit of pre-knowledge/sewing sense to press out the seams and finished raw edges - it doesn't tell you to do these things at each step along the way - but I followed the each step with total ease. My only small gripe is that the pattern suggests using a coverstitch machine to finish all the hems, which I'm not really sure that many people will have access to (I've barely got to grips with my overlocker yet, never mind introducing another new machine)! I hemmed my garment on a regular machine which worked out just fine.

Milk bottle legs are out to distract from weird ruching in the back

The fit - with the slight adjustments - has turned out pretty well, but the style of the dress is definitely a bit tighter than I'd normally go. When I first tried it on, I wasn't sure whether I felt incredibly sexy, or the immediate need to go for a run. I'm definitely getting more used to it with wear, but still having to forgo the knickers, as it's not the most forgiving of fabric/fit combos - I've never had a desire to own 'shapewear' until now... It probably looks better under dimmer lighting, which is a weird thing to say about a dress that I actually really like, but it's obviously quite dressed up and just more suited to evening-lighting that won't highlight my lumps and bumps. 

The 'can you see what I ate for dinner last night?!' pose

In all, I'm hugely impressed with the pattern, the instructions and the cool and unusual design of the dress. I'd definitely make it again or purchase another DP Studio pattern in future.

DP Studio website
Have you made or got your eye on any DP Studio patterns?


Stay in touch!

You Might Also Like

16 comments

  1. Wow, that looks incredible on you! There are no lumps and bumps that I can see. I've recently discovered DP Studio but haven't ordered anything yet. I've kind of got my eye on the gathered piped shirt (603).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Sam! I really like that one too, just not sure if it will be a bit too fussy on me as I'm quite busty. Best of luck with it if you make it :)

      Delete
  2. I actually have this dress on my radar to sew. I'll probably make it up for the winter. Yours looks amazing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Claire! I loved making it so can definitely recommend :)

      Delete
  3. I love this on you!! Sexy and unique! I got my hands on a couple of these patterns, too, and can't wait to try them out... I bought 603 and 502.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Meg :) I can't wait to see the 603 on you. Would really like to make it myself but can't picture how the gathers will hang on me! love the 502 too - really worrying for my bank balance right now...

      Delete
  4. gorgeous and adore the styling with those shoes and 'socks'

    ReplyDelete
  5. That dress looks great on you! And thanks for introducing me to DP Studio patterns - not that I need any other patterns, but you never know!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Claudia! I didn't need any new patterns either but was so excited when I came across them :)

      Delete
    2. Okay, now, after further consideration, I'm really into the asymmetrical skirt and that kind of crazy multiple tie shirt dress (the one that's pictured in a blue white stripe). I appreciate a good enabler.

      Delete
    3. I loveeeee the asymmetrical skirt - do it!! I'm tempted to myself :)

      Delete
  6. You look amazing in this dress, love the style lines

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Lynsey :) The shaping is really unusual - really love how it's put together!

      Delete
  7. Thank you for sharing your toughs on the Dp Sudio patterns. You look stunning in this dress. The black color and the pattern are made for each other. Dp Studio have some interesting patterns and like you said a Vogue designer style pattern. I keep this in mind for another LBD. Looking forward to your next experience with Dp Studio. I've planned my second version of the Le002 Pull in the Autumn and after seeing this black dress I'll probably will make the next one in black fabric.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Sonja! I'm not sure I'd be able to brave this style in many other colours or pattern - black just works with their bolder silhouettes! Looking forward to seeing your next Le002 and the dress if you decide to make it :) at least we both know to watch out for the narrow hips in both patterns! x

      Delete

Thanks for visiting!

Thanks for visiting!