Trend Patterns Frilled Hem Top

Monday, September 25, 2017

I took a bit of a 'sewcation' recently, with quite grand plans for making. I sewed up a Lily Sage & Co Wonderland Skirt first (more on that soon!) and then moved onto my very first Trend Patterns make. All I can say is that there were many more patterns on my sewing list, but as soon as I'd finished the TPC5 Frilled Hem Top, all of my sewing needs felt satisfied. Talk about love for a garment!
Trend Patterns Frilled Hem Top
I bought the Frilled Hem Top and Asymetric Hem Dress patterns in a Trend Patterns sale quite a while ago, and ordered the Trench Jacket in the most recent bank holiday sale. I'm not in the habit of collecting patterns in such a way, but the packaging is so aesthetically pleasing that they've been doubling up as sewing space decoration while they sit in the queue. They're pricier than the brands I usually go for, but the styles are (what I'd consider to be) super fashionable and the drafting is adventurous and unusual - I'd liken them most closely to DP Studio after making their Knit Asymmetric Dress.
Just look at the beautiful packaging!
I've been waiting for the perfect fabric to inspire me to make the Frilled Hem Top and was thrilled to finally come across these contrasting checks on a recent trip to Fabworks. I'm not really sure what sort of fabric is is - probably polyester - but they're really light and drapey and very nearly a little see-through.
Worn with this pleather Sew DIY Nita Wrap Skirt
The pattern requires 1.9m of fabric (140cm wide) in total. I bought 1.5m of my main fabric and 1m of the white contrast check for the frill. The frill panel was much longer than I realised, so I had to cut it on the cross grain (my fabric was 150cm wide), but if you want a contrasting frill and don't mind doing this, then you could actually get away with buying just 0.5m. I traced a size 12 and started the semi-painful process of trying to keep the checked fabric straight while pinning and cutting.

Monochrome on monochrome (on monochrome)
The making process was hugely enjoyable and just the right amount of challenging,  I love interesting construction methods and piecing together unusual pattern pieces, and the Frilled Hem Top had plenty of this. I particularly liked adding the frill to the bottom panel. It's absolutely huge and must have took me about an hour alone to gather and pin it in place.
After joining the front to the lower back panel and frill
The instructions are good and the photographs are especially helpful, but it's not your typical top with a front, back and side seams, so naturally there were a few points where I got a little confused. All I can say is that the notches/pattern markings are absolutely essential, so if you're confused about which pieces you're joining where, use these as a guide because they're spot on.

Back view - slightly squiffy zip/checks
Update: full back view of top
I completed the Frilled Hem Top in one intense day of sewing, though future versions would probably be quicker now I'm familiar with the pattern. My only disappointment is with the zip insertion, or more accurately, my slightly dodgy fabric cutting which has made my zip look a bit off. Apart from this, I'm really happy with how professional the finish is.

Side view!
I'm so pleased that this pattern turned out well and I couldn't recommend it more! It's well drafted, unusual in style (without being too 'out-there') and interesting to wear. I've been wearing mine both loose and tucked in at the back to emphasize the diagonal fall of the frill from back to front. I'm still on the hunt for the perfect bottoms to wear it with - I'm thinking a shorter skirt or maybe it's time to make the leap into jeans sewing...?

Snaps taken by my mum outside the ExCeL @ GBSB Live!
I'm sure I'll be making another version, but again it will be a case of waiting for the perfect fabric to come along - I think anything heavier would result in too much bulk, so I'll be on the look out for lightweight drapey fabrics. I'd like to try one with short sleeves as I've been wearing mine rolled up anyway. In the meantime, the pattern will be decorating my sewing space in pride of place.

Now sticking with Trend Patterns, should I make the TPC8 Trench Jacket or TPC2 Asymmetric Hem Dress next?


Stay in touch!


You Might Also Like

10 comments

  1. This is such a great top! I love the unusual style lines and your fabric choice is spot on.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Diane! The pattern is really unusual and it was fun to put together :)

      Delete
  2. You always find such unusual patterns! I love this especially in the monochrome.
    I can't quite tell from the photos but is the white frill at the back the highest point of the top? Or is there a section of black fabric underneath?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Caroline! I realised that you couldn't see what the pattern was like at the back so I've added in another photo of it above. There's a section of black fabric underneath, I just had mine tucked in when I took the original photos! x

      Delete
  3. That trench is amazing...do that next!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm between this in a khaki cotton drill or the Named Isla Trench in denim...

      Delete
  4. It’s lovely, the detail is great and it’s quite unusual isn’t it! I’ve never made one of their Patterns so will definitely check them out, thanks for sharing x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Yes there patterns are really quite different - I'd recommend giving them a look :)

      Delete
  5. Great looking blouse with 'frilling' details.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting!

Thanks for visiting!