New season staples: New Look 6418

Monday, October 16, 2017

I am massively guilty of overlooking good patterns based on the cover. The New Look 6418 is a prime example of one of these little gems that's hiding behind a passable picture on the envelope in the back of my collection for a while - I think it was free in return for entering a competition, so it's likely that lots of you will have it in your stash too! As it turns out, view D is actually a fab make and now two of my new favourite skirts - dig your copies out!

New Look 6418 in faux suede
The overlooked cover
As well as the standard this-time-of-year-panic to make season-appropriate clothes, my priority has been to make fitted clothes that actually fit - I've been unwell over the summer and changed my diet, which has messed with my measurements. A fitted mini was top of the list - something to wear with thick tights and pair with jumpers/Fall Turtlenecks and looser tops like the Frilled Hem Top. I was quite surprised that my mini pattern research didn't pull up anything new that excited me - woven minis seem few and far in between, but let me know if you know otherwise!

Before: an unworn Inari Tee Dress
...salvaged for fabric
So that's what led me to turning to the New Look 6418 in my stash. View D looked ok to try and if it didn't require too much commitment time wise (it took a couple of hours) and fabric wise (only 0.8m). I managed to squeeze mine out of this old Inari Tee Dress that just wasn't working for me. I loved my first version, but this amazing orange faux suede was just a bit too heavy and the resulting look was a bit 'bubble-like'.

After: a finished and very wearable New Look 6418
The skirt is SO simple to make. It has a bit of topstitching on the fake pockets and an invisible zip in the back so it would be a good one for beginners to practice skills or experienced sewers who want a quick win make (or perhaps a pattern to experiment with). The finished garment is designed to sit 1" below the waist, which feels a bit weird at first, but it's actually a really flattering cut. I made a size 14, which is spot on when worn at the right point on the hip, though I can't help but thinking a 12 might work a bit better depending on the stiffness of fabric used.

Worn with a Kyoto Tee minus the frills. Excuse the creases from sitting!
After wearing it nearly all week, I decided to follow it up with a second. I bought 1m of this incredible snakeskin faux leather in Abakhan over a year ago and was so pleased to finally have the right project for it! The only changes I made to accommodate the fabric were skipping the pockets and installing an exposed zipper rather than a concealed one - my very first exposed zip and it doesn't look half bad! I used a 90/14 leather needle for sewing and overlocked the raw bottom edge and turned it up just once to avoid a bulky hem.

Version 2 in snakeskin faux leather
Back view - my first exposed zipper!
I LOVE both skirts and expect them to be staples throughout the winter (though I'm not sure I can get away with pleather snake skin at work). It's definitely a good pattern for trying with unusual/unconventional fabric and now it's a TNT, I'm hoping to brave using the stripy Liberty cord I bought at GBSB Live to make a lined version.

Worn with a Fall Turtleneck



I also managed to get a printed copy of the Named Clothing Nascha Mini Skirt at GBSB Live, which seems to have been discontinued. I'd never seen it before so was quite excited (I've read reviews saying that it really is the miniest of minis, so lets hope it hasn't been discontinued for a reason...). I'm going to try it out in denim whilst I labour over the Named Isla Trench Coat (also in denim) in the background.


Having been an exclusively midi-length maker/wearer for quite some time, this is exciting new territory for me! Please send your short skirt recommendations my way :)


Stay in touch!



You Might Also Like

17 comments

  1. I love both of your skirts. Especially the snake one with exposed zip. I like how you style them too.
    Regarding patterns... how about 103 from Burdastyle mag 08/17? or 106 from the same issue? Also Simplicity 8459 is another possibility.
    Hope these help.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Diane! I've been dying to use the snake skin for SO long but just never had the right pattern.
      I like the 103 and you read my mind with the Simplicity 8459! It just arrived in the post with some rust orange thick corduroy :) Can't wait to try it! x

      Delete
  2. LOVE these!! That faux snakeskin is really cool! I actually love mini skirts all year, and I'm glad you're enjoying these two already. =) They're both very stylish!

    I made Nascha, and yeah, it's tiny. (Well, the front vent is really the big issue with the length, LOL!) But I think making the pattern work for you comes down to your height, specifically knowing how much of it you have in your legs vs. your hips vs. your torso! I'm close to Named's draft height but have a long torso and short-for-my-height legs; I added 2" to my Nascha to get a length I was comfortable with, and it's because the skirt sits at my natural waist and I have that long torso. I say just pin the pattern pieces to yourself in the mirror and see what you think! And worst-case, the pattern uses a hem facing so you're only losing minimal length when you hem it. ;-)

    -Abbey

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much Abbey! I haven't worn minis since uni, but really liking them again now!

      Thanks you for the Nascha tips, they're much appreciated! I was a bit worried when I googled for reviews and saw that a lot of people struggled with the length (or lack of)! I'll do what you say and pin the pattern pieces and will probably toile it first. Fingers crossed it works out and if not, there's always thick tights :)

      xx

      Delete
  3. Love them - and like you - I often can overlook a failsafe pattern - which is another reason that blogs are invaluable - especially when the fabric is unexpected like your second choice- fantastic. Hope you are getting better changing foods diets and habits takes an age to tweak.....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Eimear! I was in two minds whether to post these skirts as although they're wardrobe staples, they're also what I'd consider quite plain/simple. but you are definitely right in the power of seeing a blog image or review and having your mind changed!
      And the food thing is tricky but I'm getting the hang of it now, thanks :) x

      Delete
  4. Nice skirts!! If you are looking for another pattern, you could try Vogue 1247. It's a popular choice, I used it myself and only saw great versions online!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! And fab pattern suggestion Delphine :) I've seen lots of people make that one on Instagram but couldn't remember which pattern company it came from! x

      Delete
  5. Loving both your skirts, the faux snake skin and zip are fab.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Such a great style of skirt! They look great paired with your turtle necks and I love the detail of the faux pocket flaps. I'm also a fan of skirts which sit just below the waistline. I guess it depends on everybody's natural build, but sometimes I wonder if I look a bit chopped in half or disproportionate when wearing skirts bang on my waist!

    Other mini patterns I can think of are Tilly and the Buttons Delphine and Arielle, Grainline Studio Moss skirt, and Pauliney Alice Rosari skirt. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jo - the skirt/turtleneck thing is definitely going to be my winter uniform. The Moss Skirt is a great shout thank you! I'd not come across it before but I think it might make a good wardrobe staple :)

      Delete
  7. Definitely a case of seeing beyond the cover art - your skirts look great! I could actually see you in View D, too. And I fully support gold snakeskin at work, but I also understand keeping it for the weekend. I don't have any other mini recommendations, as all of my skirts are knit tubes! Which I do find very comfy and versatile.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Chloe! Ha I have managed to get away with the snakeskin at work on a Friday :)
      I think a couple of knit tubes skirts might fit well in my wardrobe too - just need to find the time to sew them x

      Delete
  8. Congrats on the new blog layout magnificentthread - Looking forward to watching it continue to grow. I've been attracted to do my own for days! New Look Discount Code

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting!

Thanks for visiting!