M7661 Culottes

Monday, July 09, 2018

After the success of my first attempt with the McCall's M7661 (View A - the tie front, contrast side panel trousers, which I blogged about here) it was only right that I should test out View C, a pair of wide legged, high-waisted culottes. I love culottes. They're pretty much my go-to bottoms for work and play all summer, and as predicted, this version might just have bumped the Butterick B6178 off the top spot for my favourite culotte pattern!

M7661 in View C
I used fabric dug up from deep within my stash - clearly a forgotten gem as I'm sure I would've used it sooner had I remembered it. I bought a good chunk of it for just a couple of pounds from a Hebden Bridge Rag Market last year. It's a lightish weight cotton mix that makes for a lovely, airy wide-legged  trouser.


The fit through the waist and hip of View C is very similar to that of the trousers I made originally. This version is simplified slightly by skipping the contrast side panel, so I didn't have many excuses not to pattern match, particularly with the check of the fabric being quite large scale/bold too. The outcome is mostly good, and I'm not asking you to check out my bum, but check out that pattern match...!
Check that pattern match!
Pattern match perfection (on this side at least)!
Like my last version, I made a size 12 and the fit is on the comfortable side of spot on. I really haven't got much more to say about the construction or pattern that I didn't say last time other than how impressed I am with both versions! The silhouette is really easy to wear - the culottes are probably a bit more casual then the trousers. Below you can see them with the tie belts open - these are sewn into the side seams so can be fastened as loosely or tight as you like around the front.
Tie belts
I'm feeling a real increase in confidence and interest in 'Big 4' patterns at the moment and my results with the M7661 have been a real influencing factor in this (please someone else make a pair so it's not just me singing the pattern's praises)! I've just bought a couple of Simplicity patterns (the S8608 for the jumpsuit and the S8609 for the tops) so I'm hoping I'll have similar success with those!


Does anyone else have any favourite 'Big 4' patterns of the moment?

Stay in touch!




You Might Also Like

12 comments

  1. They look great. Love your shoes too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Samantha! And I'm quite a shoe-fiend as I don't buy clothes... these ones are Doc Martens :)

      Delete
  2. Love them! That fabric is perfect. I would never have picked this pattern from the envelope pics, they look so gathered.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! This was one of the rare Big 4 patterns that I was *almost* attracted to by the pattern cover haha. But seeing the line drawings or someone else make things does always help. They're quite gathered around the front, but the bow sits well with this, and more fitted in the back xx

      Delete
  3. Love these! And great pattern matching indeed. I love the b6178 as well but this pattern is really cute, too. I might have to try it. I sew from big4 patterns all the time. Once you get used to checking finished measurements before picking a size, they're pretty alright. Although, as I believe you said on stitcher's brew: we need waist measurements, too! 😁

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful pants - but really that's on you :) The fit (which you figured out perfectly - that fit across your derriere is terrific!) and the fabric choice and matching is just lovely. I'm not keen on culottes to be honest. I just grew up in a time when they were in fashion magazines as the "style to avoid" because it's the least flattering :) But yours really are the bomb.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I really love both your versions of this pattern! They are gorgeous and suit you so well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! It's a really easy to wear and fit pattern - I think it would suit lots of people xx

      Delete
  6. Those are fab culottes Shauni. You look soooo good in them!The pattern matching is perfection too.

    PS: I nominated you for a fun Mystery Blogger Award. It’s a nice way of celebrating other bloggers. Here is the link to my nomination post : https://www.dreamcutsew.com/blog/2018/07/14/random-fun-facts-for-the-mystery-blogger-award

    Don't worry if you haven't the time to join in though XX

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much Diane! And thank you for the nomination - that's so kind of you! Sorry I've not had chance to join in just yet, but it's so much appreciated :) xx

      Delete
  7. I ran out and bought this pattern because of you, lol! I adore these trousers: the fabric, the shape, the styling...it's all aces! The integrated waist tie is an awesome feature, too. Now I just need to sew a pair, so that yours don't get lonely. ;-)

    -Abbey

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah thank you Abbey! Both the views I've tried have turned out seriously great so can't recommend the pattern more. Best of luck with yours :) xx

      Delete

Thanks for visiting!

Thanks for visiting!