TPC16 - Trend Patterns Side Drawstring Dress

Tuesday, August 28, 2018

Sewing can evoke a lot of emotions including, on the rare occasion, frustration, anger and disappointment. I felt all of these things whilst making the Trend Patterns TPC16 Side Drawstring Dress and was so close to giving up so many times. Fortunately, I haven't got room for UFOs in my life or flat and channelled some serious Tim Gunn 'MAKE.IT.WORK' vibes to get to the finished thing. I chopped and changed it so many times that I'm not sure how far removed it is from the intended fit, but... I think I kind of like it!

Trend Patterns TPC16
Styled with boots, bag and jacket
I really like Trends' aesthetic and they go some way to filling a huge gap in the sewing market for patterns that are edgy, fashion-forward and most importantly, actually wearable. Ironically, it's that fashion-forwardness that actually delayed me from sewing up this pattern, which has been in my stash since it was released. Whilst Trend's samples and lookbooks are pretty awe inspiring, I couldn't imagine how this dress would look in anything other than that shiny silver foil - I haven't seen any other makers try this one, so maybe I'm not alone in thinking this?

Side tie detail
It was a throwaway comment from my boyfriend about making more 'edgy' clothes that finally prompted me to go on a more purposeful hunt for suitable fabric. The pattern requirements state 3m of fabric 'with a good bias' or jersey, like one of the versions on their website, which was made without fastenings. I'm always a bit hesitant as to how one pattern can successfully translate to such totally different fabrics, so I went with a woven textured gingham check from Abakhan.
Cutting layout for the HUGE pieces
I still wasn't 100% sure it was 'the one', but it was the best I could find, and at only £4.75p/m it was pretty affordable. Trend only state fabric requirements for the upper size in their range, so I bought 2.5m, which just accommodated cutting the size 12. Be warned that the PDF is a massive 68 pages. Sticking it together and cutting it out took a full day and my whole floor space, twice over.

The pattern instructions forewarn makers that the dress follows an 'odd order' of construction in comparison to a usual dress, but for the most part, I found them fine to follow. Having made the Frilled Hem Top, I knew the patterns assumed a little bit of prior knowledge, but the photographs to support the written instructions are pretty helpful. I only got really confused with the instructions for 'bagging out'/attaching the facing to the armholes and ended up in a bit of a death loop twist before unpicking and starting again.


The difficult thing about the 'odd order' of construction is that you can't try the dress on to gauge the fit until really near the end of the make (you close the side of the dress with the drawstring channel at the very end). When it came to sewing the drawstring channel in place, I knew the dress would be HUGE. Weirdly the shoulders don't sit symmetrically, and the drafting of the armhole on the drawstring side doesn't take into account that the channel adds a good couple of inches to the width of the dress. This meant it was not only really big on one side, but had a huge gaping armhole too.

Finished drawstring channel
Thinking that the project was going to be a huge fail inspired the following and fairly reckless series of adjustments - I'd invested too much time in it by this point for it to never be worn! I unpicked the drawstring channel and took about 4" out of that side of the dress. When I tried the dress on again, it was still way too big, but I could see the potential in it. I wish I'd have took pictures to show the before adjustments vs after, but when you're really in the zone of wanting the project to work, it can totally plummet your mood when things don't go to plan - bad-fit selfies were the last thing on my mind!


I don't want to be unfair to the drafting of the pattern if it was intended to be loose fitting, but I would have at least expected the neckline, shoulders and armholes to fit and sit nicely. Either way, it just wasn't working for me - I looked like I was wearing a gathered up duvet cover - so I unpicked the back neck/facing and took the back darts much wider and deeper to get the dress to lay flat. Not ideal, but I also had to make darts in the facing to get the pieces to match back up again. 
Back view, which for once I actually love!
After this, I took a couple of cm out of each armhole. I sewed and re-sewed the zip in 3 separate times, on each go taking a bit more fabric out. I took around 3" out of the zip side-seam in total, with an extra chunk out of the underarm to reduce some armhole gape/get a closer fit at the bust. The fit still isn't 'perfect' and I definitely took some of my adjustments a little too far - I could've done with leaving a bit more width through the hip/middle - but I'm really pleased that I was somehow determined enough to rescue it from near-disaster.


Despite all the stress of the make, I feel lots of positive things about the finished dress - proud that I managed it, impressed by the skill I put into making it, excited to wear it! I love the finished thing and it does feel sort of 'edgy', particularly when worn with my Ida Clutch, boots and leather jacket as seen in some of these pictures. The drawstring is an amazing feature - I used cord rather than creating my own ties - and it totally transforms it from something that looks just plain weird on the hanger to a cool and unusual garment to wear. I never really say or think this about my makes either, but it even looks great from behind.

A bit of a saga getting there, but a finally well fitting TPC16
I can't say that I'll be in a hurry to sew the Side Drawstring Dress again, but it does make for a nice addition to the wardrobe, and it will definitely transition well into autumn. I wouldn't not recommend this pattern, but all I can say is be prepared to make adjustments, or if you can bear the thought of doing all that cutting twice (I can't!) then without a doubt, make a muslin!


Stay in touch!







You Might Also Like

26 comments

  1. This looks fantastic! I love the drawstring with the bit of leg peeking out on one side. Your choice of fabric really highlights the style lines of this dress. It's too bad that it took so many adjustments to get there but you really did make it work in the end. I love seeing all of your more fashion forward pieces. It's really inspiring.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Renee! I found it really hard to picture how the print would work with once the dress was made up, but I think it was a good pick! Shame it was a bit of a chore getting there, but definitely worth it :)

      Delete
  2. Oh dear, how frustrating!! For what it's worth, this dress is fabulous on you and you definitely took the "cool factor" up several notches with the styling also. It's a shame that getting a wearable dress was such a struggle, but hopefully you feel it was all worthwhile when you're rocking this amazing creation!

    I've had my eye on both of TP's drawstring dress patterns and haven't been able to commit to one yet. (And I just missed their sale this weekend, which would have been the perfect opportunity. Grrr!!) Out of curiosity I may just get this one and see how it goes after your cautionary tale! ;-)

    -Abbey

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah thank you so much Abbey! It does feel so so worth it now it's done, though I'm not sure it did at the time haha. I had a totally great experience with TP's Frilled Hem Top, so I was quite surprised that this one came up so big/the fit was a bit off! Good luck if you decide to make either. I've seen some amazing versions of their other drawstring dress on Insta, so definitely tempted by that one too :)

      Delete
  3. This looks amazing! I love the tie detail.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Shauni, it's absolutely amazing! Such a cool look. great job persisting with it. It paid off!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Diane! It was hard going, but I'm glad I made it work :)

      Delete
  5. The result is really awesome and I"m so impressed that you stuck with it. Strange that it would be drafted to fit the way it was in the beginning. I haven't tried any of their patterns yet, but I have my eye on their 70s dress.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Ashley! I think I must have gone with the wrong size (though it matched my measurements) but there were a few other funny fit issues with arm hole gaping... I had a great experience with the Frilled Hem Top, so I'm pretty sure this time was just a one off. Threadsnips shared an amazing version of the 70s dress on insta!

      Delete
  6. Wow thanks for the warning and awesome effort in MAKING IT WORK! I find honest pattern reviews so helpful, although the price alone is likely to put me off trying a Trend pattern. So impressed with the finished dress, it really looks good, well fitted and very fashion forward.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Emma! I always buy Trend patterns when there's a sale/discount on, but agree they are quite pricey (as are the other super stylish ones like DP Studio). Had a great experience making the Frilled Hem Top, so hoping this time was just a bit of a blip - glad I could make it work! :)

      Delete
  7. Very cool dress- I wish I had the figure for it! Sounds to me like you picked the wrong size with this one, if the armholes neck and shoulders were all way out, how odd.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you!! I really think this one would suit lots of people - the intended fit is much looser, I just took it in lots at the sides to fit my shape. I picked the size that my measurements aligned with, but would've definitely benefited from downsizing! Something to maybe wary of with Trend in future!

      Delete
  8. Oh my goodness, this is AMAZING!!!! Definitely worth all the hassle. It reminds of two dresses on the All Saints website I was looking at yesterday, and wondering how to copy!

    https://www.allsaints.com/women/dresses/allsaints-ariya-dress/?colour=5&category=22

    https://www.allsaints.com/women/dresses/allsaints-tina-stripe-dress-/?colour=3202&category=22

    Well done for sticking with it, and happy wearing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Lynne! And WOW I love both of those dresses! It definitely has a lot of similarities with the second one. Seeing how the strange shaped pattern pieces came together to make the drawstring/gathered side was pretty fascinating and might have given me some ideas for future makes! x

      Delete
  9. It really is a amazing dress with a great asymmetrical look.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Sonja! I really love how it's turned out :)

      Delete
  10. Well done you for persevering. I would've had to step away for a while before attempting all that to fix it. Having said that, it was well worth it because the dress looks really good.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Patricia :) I don't know how I had the patience, but I just sort of powered through (I probably wouldn't have returned to it if I'd put it down)!

      Delete
  11. That looks awesome, even better than the silver sample (and I don’t say that lightly I’m a sucker for anything metallic). Shame about the drafting problems - they have some great styles on their site.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Catherine! I've made one of their patterns before and had no problems, so hoping this is just a one off/issue with the suggested sizing. I have a couple of other Trend patterns in my collection and I don't think this one will put me off :)

      Delete
  12. Great save! Very chic despite your angst! Hope you grow to love it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! The angst has definitely subsided with wear haha

      Delete
  13. Wow, what a saga. Kudos to your perseverance. I feel like I get trapped by a bad project sometimes - I can't stop unpicking and resewing until it's in good shape, even I don't like it, because then at least I can donate it with a clear heart. This goes one step further though - because it's awesome on you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Lia! I'm definitely the same as you - just have to finish things to at least a wearable state :)

      Delete

Thanks for visiting!

Thanks for visiting!