Rag Rich: Ready to Sew Jazz Jumpsuit on holiday

Tuesday, May 15, 2018

I can't believe this fabric could have ever been considered a 'rag'. Perhaps it wasn't quite to the seller's taste? Whatever the reason, I'm thankful that it made it's way to the Spring Hebden Bridge Rag Market, and that no one else swiped it up before me, as it's made for the perfect Ready to Sew Jazz Jumpsuit!

Ready to Sew Jazz
I've made up the jumpsuit version of the Jazz (it can also be made as a dress or playsuit) a couple of times, first as a tester with a similar cotton-mix fabric and the second time in a slightly more luxurious crepe - essentially anything with a nice drape works well! When I saw that the weather was going to be nice in Berlin the week before we went, it called for a bit of emergency summer sewing. I was between making the Jazz and the In the Folds Peppermint Jumpsuit in this fabric, but I was sort of lazy in going with the TNT pattern in the end. (I'd love to hear people's thoughts on the Peppermint Jumpsuit though! What are those bust darts like for those of you who are a bit fuller chested)?

On holiday in a much sunnier Berlin
I'm not really a fan of holiday panic-sewing, but the Jazz is a fun and fairly quick to make project, and based on the others in my wardrobe, I knew I'd get good wear out of it through the summer. I haven't got much to say about the construction that I didn't already say the first time around. I always have a great experience sewing up Ready to Sew patterns and the Jazz is no exception.

Back view, with a slightly closer fit
The only change I made this time was in my sizing. Whilst the Jazz isn't particularly fitted, my previous two look just a bit too oversized now, so I dropped a couple of sizes to a 38. The fit is still comfortable and roomy, but without as much excess fabric, particularly in the bodice and around the waist, which I like to wear belted in anyway.


I'm glad I managed to make use of this amazing fabric straight away rather than it languishing in the stash forever. The print and colour of it make this Jazz a little bit bolder than I'd usually go, but in a good way (I think?) and it was definitely the stand-out piece in my holiday wardrobe! I had the added 'pressure' of beginning Me Made May from on holiday this year, but it wasn't too difficult as the only RTW thing packed was the yellow shirt in the picture below.

A mostly handmade holiday wardrobe!
We had a lovely break filled with nice (mostly vegan) food, drinks and a big street party to celebrate May Day. Of course I had to Google 'fabric shops in Berlin' and was pleasantly surprised with how many popped up on the map - making an even better destination for a sewer on a city break! I dragged us to a Stoff & Stil, which was pretty exciting as I've only ever bought from them online before. I was actually overwhelmed with choice, so only came away with one piece of double gauze (which is cut and ready to become a shirt very soon), but it was great to see their fabric quality is as good as the designs across the board! It definitely gives me more confidence in ordering online with them in future.

We'll definitely be going back to Berlin - probably with a Jazz jumpsuit in tow should the weather permit! Are there any other fabric shopping spots I should look out for next time?

Stay in touch!


You Might Also Like

7 comments

  1. I love this jumpsuit and the fabric is gorgeous! I recently made the Peppermint Mag/In the Folds jumpsuit and I love it! I'm a DD cup, so fit comfortably into the fuller bust bracket and I ended up making a FBA and adding lower bust darts. I was worried the two sets of darts would result in an unattractive pucker, but the fit is actually really great. I'm not sure if that remotely helps or not, but I can definitely recommend the pattern. And now I might check out this one! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Belle! So glad to hear that other people have managed it and it works for a fuller bust. I'm definitely going to muslin the bodice first, but looking forward to giving it a go - and hopeful I can make it fit! I can definitely recommend the Jazz as a nice and easy one to fit :)

      Delete
  2. Loving your jumpsuit, that fabric is gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Lynne :) The fabric was definitely a real 'find'!

      Delete
  3. Not too bold at all - lovely, summery, and dare I say Jazzy?!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I just found your blog looking for jumpsuit pattern reviews and this one from Ready To Sew looks perfect! I love your version.

    I live in Germany and in Berlin there is an excellent fabric shop called Frau Tulpe (https://www.frautulpe.de) you should definitely visit!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! It's a really lovely pattern to sew. And thanks so much for the fabric shop recommendation - we'll definitely be visiting again so I'll be sure to check it out :) xx

      Delete

Thanks for visiting!

Thanks for visiting!