M7661 Trousers

Thursday, May 03, 2018

Having made a soft start at the Curated Closet process - i.e. I've only got as far as making a Pinterest board - I realised that I really only want to wear trousers, something that isn't quite reflected in my wardrobe. I finally got the Lander Pants to fit on my 4th attempt (more on these soon!) so I needed a bit of respite with a trouser pattern that was hopefully a little easier to fit. I chose the M7661 pattern as a prize for winning star make on The Fold Line, and the pair I've made have fast become my go-to bottoms!
New favourite trousers!!
The pattern offers 4 variations on the high-waisted, wide-legged culotte/trouser, with a concealed zip fastening at the back and a tie or belt at the waist. All versions have pockets and a generous amount of gathering around the front, which is surprisingly flattering and relaxed enough to accommodate a fair sized food baby. I cut View A with the leg length of View B, but I ended up hemming them at around A's length anyway.
McCall's M7661 pattern
Texture/detail of fabric up close
I used this stripe poly/viscose with a slight stretch to it. It's only a cheap suiting fabric, but I thought it would be good for testing out the pattern before committing to something more expensive. I was keen to make the most out of the contrasting side panel using the fabric I had, so I cut mine out on the cross grain to make the stripes horizontal (these panels would also be a good use of long, thin #sewingleftovers)! I'd say they've turned out part Pirates of the Caribbean/part Vivienne Westwood which I'm totally ok with! For future pairs, I'll be looking towards the Orageuse Patterns Bruges trousers for inspiration - the red stripe on their sample pair looks amazing.

Showing off that side panel!
Pocket placement appreciation
The inseam pockets that sit along the front of the contrast strip are roomy and feel really perfectly placed, whilst the contrast panel is more visible from the back, which I think that makes the design of the trousers all the more interesting. The waist ties are sewn into the side seams of the waistband and are more decorative than anything, though I imagine they could easily be switched to a full belt depending on personal preference. I made the size 12 and the fit is just about perfect apart from a tiny bit of excess in the front waist, so the belt does help to pull this in, almost creating a paper-bag effect with the depth of the waistband.

Back view (excuse my extreme paleness)
The finished trousers feel both smart and relaxed to wear. The tiny bit of stretch in the fabric, paired with the deep and high-sitting waistband make them the ultimate comfort bottoms. I'll definitely be using this pattern again, and I think View C might become my new go-to culotte pattern (sorry Butterick 6178 - it's time to switch it up)!

Thanks Chris for photo-taking!
The fabric had some slight faults in it, so Lucky Fashions (in Dewsbury) cut me loads more than needed. I see some definite #sewingleftovers coming up! There's about 1.5m left, so I'm thinking a matching top for the faux-jumpsuit/mix and match separates look, but I'm not sure which pattern would be best. Something without too much volume that can be easily tucked in would work well - if you have any suggestions, please send them my way!!

Stay in touch!

You Might Also Like

12 comments

  1. After following along with your Lander chronicles, I've decided to take the Lander class my local fabric store is offering. I figured a little extra, in-person guidance might help me get it right on the first go (oh, I'm so optimistic). I'm planning on making another pair of pants this summer. Your pants look great!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope the class is helpful Claudia! Everyone else's Landers seem to fit perfectly so maybe it's just me! Good luck with them :)

      Delete
  2. LOVE! I had not even taken a second look at this pattern when it came out but seeing your take on it, I feel like I need to own it now. The stripes are just majorly awesome with the shape of the legs and the waist ties! Seriously Shauni, you make some of the coolest trousers on the entire Internet and I am perpetually jealous, LOL.

    -Abbey

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ahhhh huge thanks Abbey! I'm like that with loads of Big 4 patterns, but these just caught my eye :) Would totally recommend them - definitely my new favourite trouser pattern! xx

      Delete
  3. This looks soooo cool, I really like how your trousers turned out! Really cool!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Fredi! I feel sort of cool in them :)

      Delete
  4. Those are so fresh and cool!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Carmen! Love the pattern and would definitely recommend it :)

      Delete
  5. Absolutely love them, so stylish, but also rather smart. The pattern envelope looks awful I'd never give it a second look. Like how you've styled them too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Mags! Yeah I feel sort of cool but still quite dressed up in them! Haha, I think that about a lot of Big 4 patterns - glad I looked past the cover to the line drawing :)

      Delete
  6. These look amazing! I love the style and the fabric is perfect.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! So pleased I found such a good fabric match :) Now to hunt down some for the next version...

      Delete

Thanks for visiting!

Thanks for visiting!